It’s that time of year. It’s PCS season! Do you have your HHG moved for you or do you do a DITY?

What does any of this stuff mean?

This week is all about moving acronyms. Summer months are generally when military personnel get orders to new locations, so it’s a good idea to know what the acronyms are for moving. For an entire dictionary and list of acronyms, please visit visit


When a Soldier gets orders to a new location, they — and their Families — will undertake a Permanent Change of Station move. This is one of those acronyms that gets tossed around all the time, especially from June to August, the “PCS season.”


These are your household goods, all of your belongings. When the Soldier comes down on orders, they can either opt to have the military pay for movers to come in and move their HHG, or they can do it themselves.


Do it your yourself, or personally procured move means that the Soldier decided not to have the military movers come in and will do the move themselves. Soldiers can also do a partial DITY. This means that the military movers will come and move most of their HHG, but the Soldier will move some of their items as well.

Mileage instead of transportation can be paid to those who do DITY/PPM moves. The government will pay a set amount for mileage for each vehicle.


CONUS moves are within the 48 Continental United States. OCONUS moves are outside the Continental United States. OCONUS moves include Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.


While PCSing, costs will accrue. The Defense Military Pay Office are the people to see for PCS travel related pay and finance issues. The Transportation Office helps to arrange for your HHG to be moved.


The Temporary Lodging Allowance covers OCONUS moves. The allowance can be good for up to 60 days, but an extension can be applied for if necessary. The Temporary Lodging Expense is for a CONUS move, and is an allowance for lodging and meals for right before the Soldier leaves their old duty station or for when they get to their new duty station.

Other items pertaining to PCSing

Moving is incredible stressful, and military moves can become very overwhelming with forms to fill out, waiting for HHG to be packed up and to arrive. It’s important to update your information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System as soon as reporting to a new duty station. TRICARE is broken down by region, and during a PCS move, your region may have changed.

Properly keeping track of mileage and filling out travel vouchers and expense sheets will save a ton of headaches later.

Fort Bragg has pre-move briefings to help Soldiers and their Families know which forms they need to fill out when and what to keep track of during the PCS move. The Army Community Service Relocation Readiness Program helps to provide assistance to Families and Soldiers moving in and out of the Fayetteville/Fort Bragg area. The ACS RRP is located at the Soldier Support Center (Building 4-2843 Normandy Drive).

For more help planning your move, visit There, you you set up a plan for moving as well as get facts and information about the Soldier’s new duty station.