The Army has created a new office at Fort Knox, Kentucky to process Soldiers’ claims for personal property losses incident to government service — the Center for Personnel Claims Support.
These claims are known as personnel claims, and include claims for loss or damage to household goods and privately owned vehicles during a permanent change of station shipment, or while stored at government expense. Personnel claims also include loss or damage to Soldiers’ personal property located in government quarters or other authorized locations, caused by events such as storms, floods or power outages.
Army civilian employees also are eligible to file personnel claims under certain circumstances.
The new CPCS will be fully operational July 5, and will process all claims of Soldiers and employees in the contiguous United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Soldiers filing claims outside of the contiguous United States will file their claims online as outlined below, but instead of contacting the CPCS, they will contact their local legal office for assistance in processing their claims.
How does this affect CONUS Soldiers, Family Members, and employees filing claims?
In the case of household goods damaged or lost during a PCS move, Department of Defense personnel must still file their claims directly with their Transportation Service Provider under the Full Replacement Value program.
The pink form (DD Form 1840/1840R, entitled “Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery/Notice of Loss and/or Damage”), will continue to be submitted within 75 days from the date of delivery directly to your TSP.
Remember that submitting the Notice of Loss or Damage form does not mean that a claim has been filed. In order to get full replacement value for their loss, Soldiers and employees must file a complete claim with the TSP that includes detailed information on damaged items such as the original purchase price, repair estimates, and replacement costs, within nine months from the date of delivery.
That mandatory part of the claims process will not change after the CPCS stands up.
But, after July 5, if the TSP does not act on the claim, or is unable to reach a reasonable settlement with the claimant, the Soldier or employee no longer will file the unsettled claim with their local Staff Judge Advocate or legal office.
Under the new process, Soldiers and employees will file those claims on-line, and electronically submit required documents, to the CPCS using an upgraded program called “PCLAIMS Plus.” As personnel complete their claims online, they can obtain customer service support over the web or directly from CPCS personnel by phone or email.
Not only will the on-line filing system accelerate claims processing, but it will allow for quicker payment. Access to the online claims portal requires CAC access or other means of authentication for recently retired or separated personnel. Those without a CAC should call the CPCS at the number listed below for help in submitting their claim.
All CONUS personnel will be able to file a claim electronically with the CPCS beginning July 5.
On that date Soldiers can go to to find more information on how to file a claim (including the trifold on the A,B,Cs of Claims), or call the Center at 502-626-3000 or DSN 536-3000 with questions. Soldiers and employees can also contact CPCS by email at
For any claims filed before July 5, or for general information, the installation SJA or legal office will continue to provide assistance.