In September 1918, a facility known as the United States Army Hospital was constructed as the first medical facility to serve Camp Bragg. It, according to the history page of Womack Army Medical Center’s website, had two dispensaries and a headquarters. The facility was built to hold 500 beds in 22 buildings, in the area that today is Bastogne Gables housing.
In June 1932, a new 83-bed, three-story hospital was built, serving a post population of nearly 2,500 and escalating to 5,500 by 1939. Named the USA Station Hospital, it closed in 1941.
As Fort Bragg’s population grew, USA Station Hospital Two and USA Station Three were built in 1941 and 1949 respectively. In 1949, all medical facilities were moved into the old hospital area, bordered by Normandy and Reilly roads.
In May 1955, officials broke ground on Womack Army Community Hospital, named after Pfc. Bryant Womack, a combat medic posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in Korea. A patient care annex opened in 1974 and in 1991, Womack became known as Womack Army Medical Center. On Sept. 3, 1992, officials broke ground on a new WAMC. In 2000 a dedication ceremony was held at the east entrance of the medical center at Reilly Road.
Today, WAMC serves more than 199,000 eligible beneficiaries, the largest beneficiary population in the Army, in many disciplines.
The building that was the USA Station Hospital gained a new occupant in 1951. That year, the XVIII Airborne Corps was reactivated on May 21, and the old hospital building became the headquarters of the Corps. It still houses the XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters today.
(Editor’s note: Information for this article was obtained from http://www.wamc.amedd.army.mil/AboutUs/SitePages/Our%20History.aspx).