ASHEBORO — It’s that time of year again. Time to roll out the red carpet and honor folks for their service to our community.
And time for you to send in your nominations for Celebrate Community.
Each week, beginning Nov. 14 and continuing through Jan. 30, 2019, The Courier-Tribune, with help from our sponsors, will feature a local volunteer for his or her contribution to Randolph County. In February 2019, two of these volunteers will be selected as Volunteers of the Year at a gala held in honor of all the nominees.
One award will go to the Adult Volunteer of the Year and one will go to the Youth Volunteer of the Year, a person under the age of 18.
Past recipients have included Julie Moore, Libby Forrester, Gracie Baxter, Victoria Johnson and Nita Bobo.
If you would like to nominate someone, tell us about the special qualities or activities that make your nominee so deserving.
Here’s what you need to do:
* Include the person’s name, town of residence and occupation. For students, include grade and the name of the school they attend.
* Write down as many examples as possible why you think this person should be recognized. Be specific. Past recipients have been honored for volunteer efforts as diverse as Scout projects to work with nonprofits and churches.
* Include the person’s civic duties, school and church activities.
* Provide a color photo of the person.
This may require some stealth on your part since we try to maintain secrecy and surprise the person when the article is published in the paper. Solicit help from family members or the organization/agency/school where the recipient’s volunteer efforts have been concentrated. We particularly like photos showing the recipient involved in the activities for which they are being recognized.
* Provide a contact number or email for yourself.
* Provide a contact number or email for the recipient.
* Please limit one volunteer per agency, nonprofit or group.
* Email all of this to Editor Annette Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop the information and photo by the newspaper at 500 Sunset Ave., Asheboro.
* If you have any questions, contact Jordan at the email above or call 336-626-6115.
* Deadline to enter is Nov. 9.