A Fort Bragg Soldier shot and killed another Soldier during a unit safety briefing on post June 28, then shot and wounded himself.

Spc. Ricky G. Elder, an infantryman from Hutchinson, Kan., shot and killed his battalion commander, Lt. Col. Roy L. Tisdale, commander of the 525th Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade during a safety briefing June 28. Also shot was Spc. Michael E. Latham, a signal support system specialist. Latham suffered a minor, non life-threatening wound in the incident and was treated and released from Womack Army Medical Center.

Almost immediately after the incident, two 525th BfSB chaplains arrived on the scene and began rendering assistance to the Soldiers on the field. Additionally, the chaplains began coordinating for additional chaplain, behavioral health and military Family life consultants assistance. Within an hour, more than 14 chaplains from throughout Fort Bragg and about 10 behavioral health specialists from WAMC and MFLC members responded to the scene and stayed with the Soldiers for more than five hours as they provided assistance and counseling in the aftermath of the shooting.

“Taking care of the Soldiers in the unit and their Families is our number one priority at this time, while we simultaneously work the investigation surrounding this terrible tragedy,” said Lt. Gen. Daniel B. Allyn, commander of the XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg.

Tisdale graduated from Texas A&M University in 1993 and was commissioned as an infantry officer. He took command of the battalion in January 2012 when the battalion was activated.

Tisdale’s previous assignments include 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry Brigade and 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Brigade, Fort Benning, Ga.; 1st Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment and the Joint Readiness Training Center, Fort Polk, La.; and 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry Regiment, and the XVIII Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg.

Elder died of self-inflicted injuries on June 29, after receiving treatment at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville.

Elder, 27, was recently charged with larceny of a toolkit valued at $1,700 and was pending court martial for that charge. Charges had been referred but his trial had not been scheduled.

He enlisted in the Army in 2004 and was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 509th  Infantry Regiment, Fort Richardson, Alaska; and 1st Battalion, 29th Infantry Regiment, Fort Benning; before being assigned to 525th BfSB in June 2010.

Elder deployed to Iraq from October 2006 to November 2007 and to Afghanistan from September 2010 to July 2011.