The 3rd Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) derives its lineage from the 3rd Logistical Command, which was activated in Japan on Sept. 19, 1950 for service in Korea.
The date: Sept. 15, 1950. The place: Inchon, Korea. North Korean troops force American and South Korean ground forces into a small area on the Pusan peninsula in southeast Korea. To break through, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, commander in chief of the United Nations Forces, devises a plan to surround the North Koreans. He stages an amphibious landing at the enemyís rear at Inchon near Seoul. Thus follows the fall of the harbor city where Allied forces dig in and push the North Koreans back across the 38th parallel and up the peninsula in mere weeks.
Meanwhile, the 3rd Logistical Command arrived in Korea just 11 days after MacArthurís invasion and was assigned to X Corps. The command, just activated on Sept. 19 under the Japan Logistical Command which was supporting the Eighth Army in Korea as the Far East Command requisitioning agency, assumed the task to unload, receive, store and forward supplies for the X Corps. It established an initial supply level of 15 days and provided anti-aircraft and beach defense of the Inchon area. The concept of using a logistical command was a new one evolving from experiences during WWII. Korea marked the first use in combat of a logistical command organized under an approved table of organization. The attached corps combat service support structure was capable of providing high quality, timely support to units and included ordnance, quartermaster, transportation and medical units.
Prior to its inactivation on March 20, 1953, the 3rd Logistical Command participated in eight Korean campaigns including the first United Nations Counter Offensive and three Korean winter campaigns. The command received two Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citations for its meritorious service during the conflict.
The command was reactivated on June 15, 1958, in France and supported the U.S. Army Europe Communications Zone. In the spring of 1967, the unit left France and moved to Worms, Germany. On June 2, 1969, the command was again inactivated, with the majority of the Soldiers and units joining existing support units already in Germany. Before the corps support command, or COSCOM, concept was adopted in the United States Army in Europe, V and VII corps received combat service support from support brigades. When Seventh Army was reduced to token representation, V and VII corps became separate commands subordinate to USAREUR. To operate independently, each required a corps support command. The second and third support brigades were assigned to V and VII corps, respectively, and became COSCOMs.
On June 25, 1969, V COSCOM was released from seventh army support command and was assigned to V Corps. V COSCOM was redesignated on Sept. 23, 1974, as the 3rd Support Command (Corps), with its headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany. The designation "(Corps)" was dropped in late 1979. During the Cold War, the 3rd Support Command stood in defense of Western Europe along with other forces. During the annual Reforger (Return of Forces to Germany) exercises the command sustained V Corps during intensive tactical operations and deployment and redeployment operations.
On Nov. 3, 1976, the distinctive badge for the 3rd COSCOM was authorized. The Korean taeguk within the octagon shape represents the unitís eight campaigns in the Korean War. The red, white, and blue interlaced chevronels symbolize the strong support offered by the command; three chevronels further distinguish the designation of the 3rd Corps Support Command. Buff (gold) and scarlet are colors used for support units.
3rd COSCOM adapted its official motto "Sustaining the Line!" in the fall of 1977. The command sponsored a contest for Soldiers to provide a motto for the unit crest. Warrant Officer Richard Jones of the 881st Maintenance Battalion, received a $25 savings bond for his contribution of "Sustaining the Line!"
Nijmegen road march In 1985 the 3rd Support Command headquarters moved from Frankfurt to Wiesbaden, West Germany, after being next to V Corps Headquarters in Frankfurt for 16 years. In 1986, the command was selected to sponsor USAREURís involvement in the 70th annual Nijmegen Road March in Holland.